Thursday, October 15, 2015

"Wait for it. . . ."

     I've noticed over the past several years how often people telling stories pause at the end, just before the punch line, and say "wait for it. . . ."  As though the wait will be paid off in spades.  Which it rarely is.  The irony of course is that in real life, no one likes waiting for anything.  If you're driving and make someone behind you wait, even for a slight pause, you'll likely be beeped, fingered, and glared at--at best.  At worst, you may find yourself right in the middle of full-blown road rage.  Patience is not our national strong suit.
     Not so long ago, I was in a hurry at the supermarket when an agitated woman got in line behind me.  She didn't have much in her cart, so I stepped aside and said that as she seemed to be in a great hurry, why didn't she just go ahead of me?  She looked at me strangely, squeezed past me, said thanks, and quizzically asked why I'd done that.  I told her that for me, exercising patience, especially when it was difficult to do, was character building.  She raised an eyebrow but seemed to like the idea--and though I can't be entirely sure I was being honest, it was close enough to the truth.  A little waiting is good for all of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Visions and Revisions at 81

            I miss toiling away contentedly at my quiet, and lonely writing desk pursuing topics in American literature.  I would be hard at...