Friday, August 5, 2022

"Vagina Obscura": A Review of Sorts--and a Comment of a Different Sort. . .

From the review by Emily Willingham , Ph.D., author of Phallacy:  Life Lessons from the Animal Penis:

          "The vagina is having a much-belated moment, and thanks to Rachel E. Gross, now so are the ovaries, clitoris, and uterus.  In Vagina Obscura, Gross clears away the linguistic and scientific shroud from the least investigated and most misunderstood structures in the human body and tells their story deftly and beautifully."

From a Letter to the Editor in the New York Times Book Review, April 24, 2022:

          "In the early 1970s a medical man suggested I stop using Bag Balm  on my chapped, overworked hands because it contained traces of mercury.  So did, I pointed out, my diaphragm's contraceptive gel.  "Well, of course!  You need something to kill the sperm."  Maya Salem's review of "Vagina Obscura," by Rachel Gross (April 10), makes clear that historically science was in line with Darwin's notion of a woman as an "object to be beloved and played with."  Why mess with that?

Rebecca Okrent

New York

No comments:

Post a Comment

Visions and Revisions at 81

            I miss toiling away contentedly at my quiet, and lonely writing desk pursuing topics in American literature.  I would be hard at...