Friday, October 25, 2013

Keurig Coffee and the Decline and Fall of the American Republic

          "Let's go in the kitchen.  I'll put a pot of coffee on and we can talk."

          All through my part of the twentieth century words like that were part of my life.  When I was a kid, my parents percolated their coffee, the boiling bubbles popping up to the glass top for a few minutes before it was finished brewing.  My wife's family used a drip pot that took several cups of boiling water and let it slowly drip through the fresh-ground coffee beans into the pot below.  Later still the electric drip coffee pot took the place of the real thing (like the way electric typewriters replaced the manuals), and I was unhappy about that too, but at least we still went into the kitchen and put a pot of coffee on.

          Now, however, we have the Keurig Single Cup Brewing System.  My wife and I held out until yesterday, and now the new coffee maker sits on our kitchen counter.  It just doesn't have the neighborliness associated with putting a pot of coffee on, damn it all to hell, and I'm dead certain this is yet another step toward the end of civilization as we know it, or at least as I know it.  Sad.

           I wish our new Keurig coffee didn't taste so good.  It ruins all my self-righteousness.

1 comment:

  1. There are various options for coffee makers try the automated version in which you just have to press a single button to take out coffee.

    Thanks
    Finn Felton

    Kopi Luwak

    ReplyDelete

Visions and Revisions at 81

            I miss toiling away contentedly at my quiet, and lonely writing desk pursuing topics in American literature.  I would be hard at...