Sunday, October 28, 2012

Overnight Review: "Jekyll & Hyde: The Musical" Straz Center, Tampa



I was disappointed with J & H.  The first act was draggy and musically tedious.  Jekyll’s descent into madness should be accompanied by musical excitement, not frenzied chaos, which of course got more chaotic as the night and the madness wore on.  By the end it was unlistenable.  On the plus side is the performance of Deborah Cox, especially in "Bring on the Men" and "A New Life."  She brought dark overtones of earthiness, sexuality, and fertility onto the stage, plus a persistent dignity that was unexpected.  Her luscious voice kept me in the theater; everything else about this production was urging me to an early exit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Visions and Revisions at 81

            I miss toiling away contentedly at my quiet, and lonely writing desk pursuing topics in American literature.  I would be hard at...