Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Joanie Sommers


Thursday, September 27, 2007

As I worked late last night, I was listening to a 1960s singer, Joanie Sommers. She did a few Pepsi jingles back then that were popular, became one of early "Tonight Show" host Steve Allen's pet projects, made a few albums--then dropped off the face of the earth. She had a sweet voice, a little tinny on some tracks, but she was capable of a soft and sexy torch-song effect too--like "Heart and Soul" on her album Positively the Most.

Listening to her again in the wee hours last night made me wonder what had become of her, so when I finished working, I Googled her but found nothing much of interest until I found a posting by an ex radio DJ, who also had liked Joanie Sommers back in his own salad days. When I tried to log on to his site in order to say I liked her too, I got prompted from screen to screen until I had created an early version of this blog, something I called "From the Slow Lane."  It happened almost by accident.

Blogging is not something I had been thinking about, certainly, or secretly longing to begin, but now that I am here, let me ask out loud and to the world at large, Whatever happened to Joanie Sommers?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Visions and Revisions at 81

            I miss toiling away contentedly at my quiet, and lonely writing desk pursuing topics in American literature.  I would be hard at...